Federal law already prohibits those with a criminal record from obtaining firearms, but a newly passed law in New York aims to expand that to include people who had had domestic violence convictions. The new bill, which New York lawmakers have just recently approved along with the state’s new budget, [more]
Ever since the tragic mass shooting in Las Vegas, where the shooter used a bump stock-equipped rifle to kill 58 people, the particular accessory has been under scrutiny. Now, President Donald Trump has announced that he will be banning the buying and selling of the gun accessory to finally end the [more]
Several youth groups, including those formed by students at the Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School, have started to rally in different locations across the country in an effort to stress the importance of gun control. A group called Teens for Gun Reform, which was organized by students through Facebook staged [more]
The FBI has recently released the official FBI NICS Background Check data for January 2018 and it looks like the country's gun sales are continuing its steady decline. According to the recently published data, estimated firearms sales last month fell by 8 percent. Dealers across the country managed to process [more]
The Federal Bureau of Investigation has reportedly sent a request for agents of the Bureau of Alcohol Tobacco Firearms and Explosives to retrieve more than 4,000 firearms that were purchased last year. The guns to be confiscated are from owners who should have been prohibited from acquiring them in the [more]
The United States Air Force has announced that it has already launched an investigation to find out why the criminal records for Devin Patrick Kelly, the shooter who killed 26 church-goers in Sutherland Springs, weren't forwarded to the FBI National Instant Criminal Background Check System. According to application forms acquired [more]
When reports and details of the mass shooting reached Washington, D.C., the U.S. Senate buildings were some of those that were ironically locked down.
Another mass shooting just within months of previous other gun related tragedies, more people suffering and hurt, as of this writing, what is known is that at the very least 13 individuals were killed and much more were wounded after a shooter (or multiple shooters) opened fire at the historic Washington Navy Yard on Monday.
Details remain sketchy, but The Washington Post reported that for now, the FBI has identified one of the deceased as, Aaron Alexis, 34, of Fort Worth, Texas, as the suspected culprit in the shooting incident, although police were uncertain if he acted alone. Early reports said Mr. Alexis was an ex naval reservist as well as a military contractor. Sources told the Post he had used an assault rifle along with a pistol, and possibly other types of firearms.
Questions still linger on where he had acquired these firearms and if he went through the current background checking process set by the federal government to keep guns away from individuals like this. Just when, five months ago, a mile and a half away on the U.S. Capitol, the U.S. Senate defeated a compromise proposal to expand background checks for gun purchases, despite vast public support for the proposal.
The gun control proposals had followed the horrific massacre at Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown in December, in which a mentally unstable gunman killed 20 children and six educators prior to taking his own life. The Senate proposal would’ve required criminal background checks for sales at gun shows and the Internet, closing glaring loopholes in current law.
Source: The Washington Post